Monday, May 2, 2011

Many Emotions at Once

As Americans and citizens of other countries around the world listen to the news cycle today, many emotions are emerging within us all: News was released late last night that Osama bin Laden has been killed by US Special Forces.

In response to that news, many people have expressed that they are feeling multiple emotions within themselves at one time. What should we feel? What's the right emotion? How should we respond to this news? How should we respond to others when they express their emotions, particularly when those expressions don't sit well within us?

I have found it very interesting to see conversations occurring today on Facebook. I find myself grateful that social media exists - that it gives us an opportunity to share information, to express ourselves, and to have honest dialogue. And as many emotions swirl within us, part of the conviction that is sustaining me is that emotions have no 'should.' Emotions simply 'are.' They exist. They shift. They inform us of where and how we are. They affect us and at times trigger the emotions of others.

I believe that emotions are gifts within us. They can be positive and valuable sources to help us discern and deliberate actions we want to take. And though our actions have moral value, I would say that emotions do not. We have choices about how we respond to our emotions and how we react to them. But they themselves do not necessarily involve a 'should.' Again, they simply 'are.' They come and go. They visit us, and like the weather, they often shift. It is not only acceptable on a day like today to have multiple emotions - even emotions within us that seem to conflict with one another; it is very normal. It is very human.

As I have scrolled through the Facebook newsfeed today, I have read posts from many Christian colleagues, and I believe they are faithful responses to public celebrations that have taken place in the last 24 hours. I happen to agree with so many of these comments. Many people - Americans and those from other parts of the world - have expressed their emotions concerning the death of Osama bin Laden in forms of celebration.

In my own human way of feeling multiple emotions, I have various reactions to these celebrations and to the comments themselves. I think we need to take to heart the words of many who are calling us to remember well the past and hope for the future, rather than celebrate a human death in the present. At the same time, as we speak that message, I want to make sure that we don't shame those who are rejoicing in justice, remembering the grave injustice of loved ones lost.

Emotions don't have a 'should.' They simply 'are.'

A respected Christian colleague asked an important question about justice today. Is justice retaliation or is it reconciliation? He argues that true justice is reconciliation, and I agree.

My hope for this world is that we will all be reconciled - even with those (and perhaps especially with those) who we would consider to be enemies. At the same time, I know that many are not rejoicing in the death of a person - even in these public celebrations - but in a hope that violence may one day cease, or in the near future, be quelled. I do not want to silence that kind of rejoicing.

Perhaps all our various forms of emotions remind us that we need one another. I need those who are feeling what I may have neglected to feel. I need those who remind me that it is acceptable to feel the feelings I do feel rather than to deny them within myself. And perhaps another person needs the emotions that are uplifting my own convictions.

While emotions may not have a 'should,' perhaps they also remind us that we 'are,' that we need one another - that we are made for reconciliation.

May it be.
May it be.

Renee Roederer
Director of Young Adult Ministries
PPC L.I.F.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment