Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Company of New Pastors!

Greetings!

This week is an exciting one for me because I have a great opportunity for continuing education right here in Pasadena. I am a participant in an exciting initiative of the PC(USA) called the Company of New Pastors. As a seminary student, I was grouped together with a cohort of peers from Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary - some older, some younger (all with a variety of life experience!) - to discuss our transition to ministry and to engage in spiritual practices together. Once seminary graduates move toward positions in the church, the Office of Theology and Worship places us in geographical cohorts. This week I'm meeting with my West Coast Cohort for the first time. We're having a retreat at Fuller Theological Seminary.

I have enjoyed meeting the people in my group. They all bring vibrant personalities, life experiences, and a variety of ministry contexts to our discussions. Though we have different backgrounds, we are all relatively new to ministry vocations. We are benefiting greatly from the wisdom and experience of two mentors who are with us as well. They will be an integral part of our time together over the next few years. Our cohort will be meeting annually for four years.

You can learn more about the Company of New Pastors on the PC(USA) website. This initiative assists new pastors as they transition to ministry vocations, providing community and a nurturing environment to ask questions and be supported.

I am grateful for this opportunity!

Peace,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment